Monday, November 12, 2012

Greeting Cards from UFO's

If you are a crafty person like me, you have numerous UFO's lying around your work space. I'm not talking about flying saucers!  I'm referring to the "unfinished objects"--the bits you cast aside on your way to making a masterpiece of fabric or paper or paint or something else.  You save them for the same reason I do:  because they are too good to throw away, but they don't have a real purpose.

Yesterday, when I needed three special greeting cards to send to members of a friend's family (who were all involved in a car accident and are in the hospital),  I came up with the brilliant idea of turning UFO's into cards for them.

Here are the UFO's I started with.


You may remember this one, below--it's the Chevron Leaf Patch which I used on a journal cover.  Since I was making it for my blog swap with Lime Riot it HAD to be my best work, so to be safe, I made two leaf patches.  This extra one had Heat n Bond already applied to the back, so I turned it into a card by simply ironing it onto card stock!  It worked well and was extremely easy.  Since the leaf was already framed with the green fabric, I didn't add anything extra to the card at all. The finished size of the card is 6 1/4" x 4 1/2".  I will send this one to my friend's father.



Next, I found this tiny 1 1/2" x 2" winged heart patch that was the prototype for the altered matchboxes I made for an art abandonment project.  (The funny thing is that the final matchbox art looks completely different from this prototype!  That's creativity for you!)  I cut card stock to 5 1/4" x 3 1/2" (to fit into a small envelope I had on hand) and then added scrapbook papers to frame the UFO, which I glued on top.  I will send this card to my friend's sister.



I was so excited when I came across this embellished fabric square, below.  It was originally going to be a pin cushion, but before I got very far with it I learned that the intended recipient hated the color green!  I made something non-green for her instead, and tossed this into a drawer.  It's the largest piece of the three:  the patch measures 4 3/4" square, and it is composed of a single piece of nature-print fabric backed with linen and embellished with buttons, lace, embroidery, and a little patch on which I wrote "Love" .  To turn it into a card, I simply glued dark gray scrapbook paper to card stock to frame it, and glued the patch on top. The finished card measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", and it will go to my friend's mother.



So the next time you need a greeting card, why not try making one from the odds and ends left over from other projects?  I know it will be fantastic, and so much more interesting and meaningful that something bought from the store.

4 comments:

Alexandra Abarca said...

Hi Leslie, it is a really nice idea, of course, we have many many things waiting in list for ending.

Have a nice week,

Ale
Costa Rica

LimeRiot said...

Really great idea, Leslie! I've been trying to make an effort to send more "real" mail to friends and family lately and goodness knows I have one or to UFOs around here :).

Kay said...

Great idea, the little heart is darling. I am sure they will be appreciated.

wendiek said...

Okay, I will confess to you (and your readers) that I have so many UFO's laying around in the house. Your idea is great! I just might make some nice Christmas cards out of some UFO's, thanks Leslie!

And of course yours are so lovely! Nothing beats a pretty, handmade card!